If you are interested in purchasing an EV, it is important to make sure that you are plug-in ready. The following steps will assist you in electrifying your transportation.
• Plug-in Hybrid
• Battery EV
• Extended Range EV
Explanation of EV types
• Level 1 chargers require 12+ hours to charge at 120 volts
• Level 2 chargers require 3-6 hours at 240 volts
Note: These times are based on an entirely depleted battery.
• All electric vehicles are capable of charging on both a standard 110 volt residential outlet as well as a 220 volt outlet (equivalent to an electric clothes dryer outlet)
• Your electric breaker box may require service to support faster charging from 220 volt electric vehicle supply equipment (see What is an EVSE or charging station)
• Contact a local, licensed electrician to see if upgrades, permits or inspections are required
• Your electrician will be able to help select and install a home charging station that meets your charging needs